Tuesday, May 12, 2009

On BREAST CANCER vs. PROSTATE CANCER

"Like the victims of breast cancer, there's something I'd like to get off my chest. We all must fight and hopefully, one day, titty cancer will be a distant mammary..."~Eric Cartman "South Park"

Offended? Good. Me too.

I'm probably not breaking any new news here about cancer. It sucks. I realize that there will likely not be anyone reading this who doesn't know someone who has been affected by cancer at some point in his or her life. Off the top of my head... Aunt Mary, Aunt Susan and Jason. Mary went through hell and came out in pretty good shape on the other side. Jason is still going through the hell that is cancer treatment now. Aunt Susan wasn't so lucky.... :-(

When I first read the section on masculism on Wikipedia, I was amazed that cancer was even listed as a masculist concern. I didn't think that it really seemed like a gender discrimination issue. Here's what it said:

Bias in health concerns; for example, more advertisements and awareness for breast cancer than prostate cancer, though both cancers kill approximately the same number of people each year.

I will admit that, at first, I didn't believe it. I mean I certainly am aware of the prevalence of breast cancer awareness activities and fund raising efforts and the total lack of such awareness for prostate cancer. I simply figured that it was because prostate cancer was not nearly as common as breast cancer. I CERTAINLY didn't think that they two affected the same number of people in the United States every year. As it turns out, I was right. According to the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) prostate cancer does not affect the same number of men as breast cancer does women... by percentage, it's more.

Prostate cancer is difficult to detect in its early stages so it is much harder to recognize than breast cancer. I actually know how to give myself or someone else a breast self-exam. This could likely have to do with the extensive amount of time I have spent in OB/GYN offices over the last year. I don't think that I would ever even ATTEMPT to give myself or someone else a prostate exam. As a comic, I can tell you that there are probably thousands of hours of material written on getting a prostate exam at the doctor's office. Very few jokes, however, concern breast cancer. Why the double standard? I have a few possible answers.

One of the core beliefs of masculism as I see it is that feminism has worked. One of the great contemporary issues of feminists has been breast cancer research and awareness. Who could blame them? Although this disease is not indemic to women, the "fairer sex" is overwhelmingly more affected than men are. I almost feel that there must have been a moment when feminists were excited to find a disease that affects women almost exclusively. It was a cause that all women could rally behind because every woman is afraid of it. I don't blame them. According to recent statistics, 22% of women last year died from some form of cancer. Take something that dangerous and find a form that affects women almost exclusively... elementary.

I have talked to a few women who have all agreed that the scariest part of breast cancer may be a common treatment. I think we all know what I'm talking about. MASTECTOMY! I'm not sure there's any woman alive that would welcome the thought of loosing one or both breasts. I am reminded of a quote from the movie "Erin Brockovich" where a cancer riddled woman asks if she can still be called a woman if she has lost both breasts and her uterus. It still makes me sad.

At least we can say that most of this country is aware of breast cancer so the movement has certainly worked. Everyone knows what a pink ribbon means. Even Major League Baseball held special events this past Sunday (Mother's Day) promoting breast cancer awareness. Players, coaches and umpires wore pink wristbands and many players used pink bats. I won't dare say that any of these are bad things, but aren't they a little slighted? I mean, there are no female players or coaches in the MLB and yet the whole league has come out in visual support of this cause. Why isn't there a Prostate Cancer Awareness Day? We could have the players use flesh-colored bats... with purple rings on the end. Hehe.

I think another major issue is the examination used to determine prostate problems. While I would never recommend performing a BSE in a crowded bar (and certainly not without the woman's permission), it certainly is far less invasive than a prostate exam. Just as I'm sure that no woman wishes to lose a breast, I am also fairly certain that few men want anyone to insert anything in their rectums outside of some good old fashioned bedroom fun. Most don't even like it to happen there. The truth is that most men fear the EXAM more than they fear the actual disease! If they are under the impression that having the test will be worse than the cancer, I think they are sorely mistaken. Prostate cancer causes problems urinating, ejaculating and (much more frightening to men) can cause significant "performance issues". If a woman is afraid that she cannot be considered a woman without her breasts, how should a man feel like a man if he is not able to have an erection?

Penn and Teller theorize that we are more aware of breast cancer because "men like boobs" and thus the whole population is behind the cause. I'm not sure I totally agree with that. But I do think that we need to be more aware of prostate cancer in this country at totally equal levels as we are aware of breast cancer.

In summation, I really don't know for a fact why prostate cancer is not as often discussed or feared. Do you have any ideas? If so please leave a comment. You might be the first to ever do so on my blog!~~STEVE



BTW... If I have scared you with all this talk of cancer, I wouldn't worry too much. Statistics also show that you are still much more likely to die of heart disease anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Well, women tend to address health concerns faster than men do, which is the theory behind why they often live longer on average. I think women go through pretty invasive exams at least once year from the time they're 18... as I'm sure you've been made aware. They are certainly not comfortable, but maybe more socially acceptable. Guys are taught by a homophobic society to be horrified about anything going in their rearend, when honestly, if you're not gay, something being shoved up your rear isn't going to make you gay. It's dumb to think that, yet all men seem to be pre-programmed to think they're shit dumper is sacred. So as a result, another masculine trait is to make fart jokes instead of talking about health problems. I don't think women would be at all opposed to joining in a campaign to support prostate cancer. I think it's the men who are opposed about talking about not being able to get erections and dying... b/c honestly, we both know some pretty open guys who would talk about anything in public, but still I'm not even sure they would talk about an issue like that. Just a random opinion. I'm not a guy, so what would I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually MLB does a prostate cancer thing on Father's Day similar to their breast cancer promotion on Mother's Day (blue instead of pink). Plus they do more for prostate cnacer by donating money for each home run hit during the week of Father's Day and partnering with One-A-Day to donate $10 for each strikeout during the season and playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fault lies with society in general. Society has always dictated that men be strong, never scared, never crying, never sentimental etc...this makes it impossible for men to even think about expressing their feelings openly and, therefore, they do not get the attention in many aspects of life that they want and deserve. For instance, Father's Day will probably never be as big as Mother's Day because men, in general, do not show how much it means to them to have their kids say they love them. Men do not show these feelings openly to their children either so the emotional bond, even if it exists, will never be expressed in the same way as it is for a mother who hugs, kisses, openly says they want to spend time with their kids, and honestly is moved to tears by the joy of having her kids express love toward her. If boys were allowed to be as open with thier emotions as women, then I think they would get more equal treatment. Nicole is right that men will not discuss prostrate problems or the symptoms of it but I blame society for making them strong and silent. When men are little boys they get hurt, they get mushy and cuddly (and not just for sexual reasons), they cry when they are sad and refuse to do things because they are "scared" and they say so. Then they go to school or get around older men that they admire and are taught to be tough and big boys dont cry etc.. So maybe its time for men/women to stop teaching boys to hide there feelings and then, just maybe, the boys of today will grow up and not be afraid to discuss things that have nothing to do with whether they are a good man or not. Health issues like prostrate cancer are not anyones fault or demerit and cancer, as well as other health issues ( be it physical or mental ) need to stop being wispered about in corners like it is a scarlet letter. People with these illnesses need to be treated as they always were and not have people walk away from them becase they dont know what to say. In order to get through things, people need life to stay as normal as possible so they dont feel like its over or they're on their own. Men included! But society has to change its rules for the sexes and the way they are supposed to act in a given situation. Well, I guess I rambled enough. But in this matter, am fighting for the little boys to NOT grow up to be men....at least not the big, strong, silent type. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete